Bob Conge

Thunderous lightning slashed the thick black sky from above like claws of some demon’s hand and his mighty breath blew the turbulent waters of the East China Sea on shore with the power of a great tsunami.

A child was born this furious night amid the most violent storm the eldest in his village could remember. It was the year 2039 BC and the village was near the southern shore on the Island Kyushu in the archipelago known today as Japan.

The child was the first born boy to the tribal leader of his village of fishers and hunter-gathers, bringing great joy with the morning’s relief.

As the months became a year and then two, the fathers joy turned to fear as his son’s body refused to grow. When the boy was almost five it was clear he was a dwarf and his father, filled with the pain of disappointment, sent him away from the village to live with his grandfather until his tenth birthday, at which time according to tribal law, he would be put to death.

The aging master boat builder and fisherman lived alone on the coast a few miles from the village and welcomed the company of the boy. And as was the custom, on his fifth birthday he gave the boy his name, ” Tsu ” , in homage to his birth during the night of the great storm.

Over the following five years he taught Tsu both the craft of boat building and the art of sailing. He was a fine student and also developed a physical strength far beyond the his small stature, thus earning the honor of his name, Tsu ( Great Storm ). Together they built a most sea worthy boat to the scale of his dwarfed but muscular body and Tsu painted on its sail the graphic symbol for his name, the angry face of a fierce storm with opened mouth and outstretched tongue.

A few weeks before his tenth birthday the old man told Tsu of the fate that awaited him and handed him an ancient map of the coastal waters running southwest and away from his homeland.

Electro IceTsu set sail the next morning knowing well he was embarking on a journey of heroic proportion, as no one in his village had ever traveled more than five or six miles from the place of their birth.

Within days he was in the waters of the Yellow Sea off the coast of South Korea. Then following the coast of China through the Taiwan straight into the South China Sea and along the coast of Vietnam, he turned North off the Southern tip of Malaysia and sailed along the Western coast of Thailand into the Bay of Bengal. While navigating the southern most reach of India the horizon of the Arabian Sea turned a deep blue-black at midday.

It was a wall of water rushing towards his small boat at a terrible speed. The sound was deafening as Tsu lashed himself to the mast inside the cabin. The advancing wall broke from the surface forming a funnel and lifted his sturdy craft a thousand feet up inside the giant Typhoon.

Traveling at speeds of five hundred miles an hour the Typhoon carried Tsu across the sea into the Gulf of Aden and up the full length of the Red Sea, before turning west over the Egyptian desert. Loosing energy as it filled with sand, the shrinking funnel gently set Tsu in his boat down in the great City of Coptos ,whose king had died unexpectedly a few weeks before.

As morning sun washed the evenings stars from the sky, the grieving people of the court awoke to a most amazing sight. Setting inside the impenetrable walls of the palace courtyard was a sailboat, twenty three miles from the Nile.

The priests proclaimed this must be the boat they buried with their King and he had sailed back to them from the underworld. One look at the symbol painted on the ravaged sail verified this to all, as it was clearly the mark of their King, “PLASEEBO “.

The crowd fell silent as Tsu climbed out from the cabin onto the deck, rubbing the sand from the eyes of this large head that sat upon a twisted stump of a body, looking to them as they imagined how their reincarnated King might appear having traversed the sea of the underworld.

Tsu reigned as “PLASEEBO” with great wisdom and compassion over the people of Coptos for the next fifty-seven years. He brought many years of peace and prosperity to the land and was honored with the title of Pharaoh.

When Plaseebo died in 2106 BC he was buried with his boat deep in a great pyramid, where his spirit longed for the soil of his birthplace, Japan.

He would lie entombed for the next three thousand nine hundred and nine years. In 1803 AD two British quasi-archeologists broke into his burial chamber and awakened the Mummy PLASEEBO who to this day roams the earth in search of his homeland.

Two hundred and one years later, in 2004 PLASEEBO became the namesake of our studio PLASEEBO.